The King Tides Project helps people all over the world understand how sea-level rise will impact their lives.
There’s a new way to share your observations! To learn more, see the Share Photos page.
What is the King Tides Project?
- The King Tides Project is an international initiative to document extreme high tide events using photos
- These photos can help us visualize how “normal” high tides could look in the future due to sea-level rise
- From these images we can create a record of how our shoreline looks today and track future changes.
- By visualizing these higher tide events we can start to understand how rising sea-levels will impact local resources and community investments
What are king tides?
- King tides are the highest high and lowest low tide events of the year
- They are regular and predictable events that occur when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are in alignment and the Moon is at its closest point to the Earth
- These condition cause extreme highs and lows during the daily tidal cycle
North Carolina is interesting because…
- For many of us living in coastal North Carolina, flooding is a normal part of life.
- The coast here is very flat, and tides, heavy rain events, and even wind play an important role in determining water levels
- We are not only asking for photos of tidal-related events, but also encourage participants to share photos of any flooding or high water events they observe
Upcoming King Tide Events:
May 15 – 19, 2022
June 12 – 16, 2022
July 11 – 15, 2022
Click on calendar below for pdf version of 2022 King Tides Calendar
King Tides NC
North Carolina King Tides Project