The King Tides Project helps people all over the world understand how sea-level rise will impact their lives.
What is the King Tides Project?
- The King Tides Project is an international initiative to document extreme high tide events using photos
- These photos can help us visualize how “normal” high tides could look in the future due to sea-level rise
- From these images we can create a record of how our shoreline looks today and track future changes.
- By visualizing these higher tide events we can start to understand how rising sea-levels will impact local resources and community investments
What are king tides?
- King tides are the highest high and lowest low tide events of the year
- They are regular and predictable events that occur when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are in alignment and the Moon is at its closest point to the Earth
- These condition cause extreme highs and lows during the daily tidal cycle
North Carolina is interesting because…
- For many of us living in coastal North Carolina, flooding is a normal part of life.
- The coast here is very flat, and tides, heavy rain events, and even wind play an important role in determining water levels
- We are not only asking for photos of tidal-related events, but also encourage participants to share photos of any flooding or high water events they observe
Below is an interactive map on the What’s your water level? web app where you can view all previous submissions of water level reports and photos:
Upcoming King Tide Events:
April 26 – 30, 2021
May 26 – 30, 2021
June 22 – 26, 2021
July 21 – 25, 2021
October 6 – 12, 2021
November 3 – 9, 2021
December 2 – 7, 2021
King Tides NC
North Carolina King Tides Project