Participate in the NC King Tides Project!
To share your photos, here’s what you need to do!
First, plan your King Tides Photo shoot:
- Check the Calendar page to learn when the next king tide or high water event is happening!
- Make plans to go out as close to high or low tide as you can.
- Try to incorporate a vertically stable object such as a piling in the background for reference.
- Put a ruler in the shot! This helps us measure how high or low the water was when you took the photograph.
- All shots are interesting and welcome! We are particularly interested in pictures of public places that members of the general community will recognize and connect with. This will also make it possible for us to revisit these places to collect additional data.
- * Please remember that safety is the number one priority! Be aware of slippery surfaces, currents, and waves. Be conscious of your surroundings and the weather. Getting that special picture is not worth an injury! *
Second, share your photo with us by submitting a photo or by posting on our King Tides NC Flickr group!
To post your King Tides photos on Flickr, become a member of our King Tides NC group (learn how here) and post your photos:
- Find us on Flickr and request to join the King Tides NC group.
- In this group you will be able to share photos and have discussions with other members.
- Please understand that by sharing your photos in this group you are giving the NC King Tides Project permission to use your photos for non-commercial uses such as presentations and educational materials.*
- Download the Flickr app for iphone, android, or windows phones to make it super easy to share!
- Here are step by step guides of how to upload photos to Flickr via the computer, iPhone, or Android.
- Name and caption your photo with all the details!
- Address (as specific as you feel comfortable sharing)
- Latitude and longitude
- Photographer’s name
- Set the copyright settings to “Attribution-NonCommerical-ShareAlike” or “Attribution-Non-Commerical-NoDerivs” which gives us legal permission to use your photos for promotional materials.