How will sea-level rise affect you?
The photos received from king tides participants will help communities and decision makers better understand what challenges we face with a changing climate.
Rising water levels will affect not only affect ecosystems but also infrastructure, agriculture and the economy.
Coastal hazards will increase in frequency, severity, and magnitude as a result of sea-level rise, leading to:
- Coastal flooding that is more frequent and severe
- Increased damage from storms, as higher sea levels lead to greater storm surge
- Greater stress on groundwater aquifers from saltwater intrusion
- Low-lying farming lands at risk of saltwater intrusion, decrease in available freshwater, flooding, permanent inundation
- Flooding and inundation can damage buildings, roads, and recreational areas, leading to greater costs to businesses and taxpayers